BY Christopher Mangum
April 05 2010 12:05 PM ET
Bill Horn and Scout Masterson may best be known as Tori Spelling’s self-defined “guncles,” but these two are more than another pair of gay sidekicks on a reality show. After meeting eight years ago at a drag reenactment of Grease and sharing their commitment ceremony with viewers on last season’s Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood, this loving couple are ready to adopt. Horn and Masterson speak with The Advocate about the challenges of an open adoption, their unique relationships with Tori, and the possibility of naming their baby Donna Martin.
The Advocate:First off, last season’s episode chronicling your commitment ceremony was beautiful. It had me tearing up.
Bill Horn: It was an amazing few days. We had all our friends and family come together.
Did you two enjoy the thongs that Tori’s husband, Dean McDermott, presented you as your something borrowed and something blue?
Scout Masterson: When he showed us those I thought, You have got to be kidding me! And he did check to see if we wearing them.
Horn: He was disappointed because I wasn’t wearing mine.
Now, after eight years of being together and holding the commitment ceremony, you have decided you are ready to adopt.
Masterson: Yes, we are approved and we are going through the open adoption process. It has been a complete roller coaster of emotions because each day we wake up and think today could be the day that a birth mom reaches out to us.
Can you explain what is an open adoption?
Masterson: An open adoption is when the birth mom decides she wants to place the child in an environment where there may be some relationship or openness with the adoptive parents. For some people we have met, the birth mom may join them for birthday parties or a holiday or a Sunday dinner, or it might just be pictures being sent to her. Bill and I like this because it is important to know where you come from. We would love to find a birth mom who wants to come to a birthday party or wants to come for a visit every year.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 36 min 41 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 41 min 8 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 56 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 45 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM