Soapside: 's Guide to Daytime
BY Michael Fairman
May 17 2010 1:20 PM ET
As the World Turns Enters Last Month of Taping; Luke's Love Life is a Hot Mess
Say it isn’t so. As the World Turns will wrap up 54 years of taping episodes June 24, just as daytime’s most talked-about love triangle, Noah/Luke/Reid, is heating up. And this week things get really juicy. Here’s the scoop: Luke (Van Hansis) can’t bring himself to admit to Noah (Jake Silbermann) what’s been going on with Reid (Eric Sheffer Stevens). The snarky doc is upset that Luke isn’t forthcoming. Later Luke and Noah are hanging out together at the Snyder Pond, and the big tease to the viewers is, What could Luke be telling Noah? Hmm. Now Luke is unsure how Noah feels about him ... but surprise, surprise ... Reid does know what he is feeling. Could it be time for Luke to end his young puppy love with Noah and move on with Reid? From your e-mails that I have been receiving at On-Air On-Soaps, it looks like you’re feelin’ Reid and Luke!
ATWT head writer Jean Passanante, creator of the Nuke story line, told me it’s a tough call for the fans, because all three actors involved in the triangle are pretty special: “I think Van Hansis [Luke] and Jake Silbermann [Noah] are the two cutest boys I have seen in my life. Van has an enormous heart and is an open book. I think a lot of what you see is what you get. He plays a character of great passion who sometimes goes too far with things. He is very appealing and very principled. Noah is more controlled, given the background of his family and his development, and they have a very nice quality together. Eric Sheffer Stevens [Reid] is just so brainy and has great timing and is funny. There is nothing stereotyped about any of these characters. These are three wonderful actors. In the case of Reid, we knew he was funny and a pain in the ass and a misanthrope, but without a face it’s sort of hard. Once we had cast Eric in the role, he informs everything for us. We are getting positive feedback for Luke and Reid. And who would’ve imagined we could bring anyone between Luke and Noah? You never know. I thought people would yell, 'You can’t do that.' But it’s been great!” So stay tuned.
I have it on good authority that this story will have a major impact on the culmination of the series.
Last Monday fans of General Hospital were treated to one of the saddest episodes of the year. Michael Corinthos, who has now been sentenced to five years in prison for murdering his stepmother, Claudia Zacchara, was taken away in shackles to Pentonville to serve his sentence. Before he leaves, his mother, Carly, played by the magnificent Laura Wright (in a performance which should land her an Emmy nomination in 2011, if there is an Emmy god) has to say goodbye to the son she tried to protect from this whole mess. As well, Michael’s younger brother, Morgan; his half sister, Kristina; and her younger sister, Molly, also say their goodbyes. It was little Morgan telling big brother Michael that he won’t go to a single Yankees game until he gets out of prison and Michael’s response that broke viewers’ hearts again.
But this story line came with a stunning twist when Drew Garrett, now Emmy-nominated for his performance as Michael, was quickly and swiftly let go by GH right in the middle of his most major story! Enter Chad Duell, whose résumé includes some Disney Channel series. And while he is doing an admirable job in a really tough spot, is he making viewers forget the first beloved Michael, Drew Garrett? Time will tell.
OK, who do you like as Michael? The preppier and taller Chad? Or,the smoldering young looks of Drew? Make sure to also consider their acting talents in your decision, please! Here are a few clips of the Michaels in action. You be the judge! Let us know!
Until next time, Michael
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM