BY Jeremy Kinser
December 15 2010 10:05 PM ET
You've had an incredibly illustrious career. Do you ever just stop and look back at what you've accomplished?
I never do that. I always think, Where am I going to get my next job? Maybe one day I’ll have the ability to look back like that. I just feel so incredibly fortunate that I’ve been able to work with so many great directors on such great material with wonderful actors and work all over the world. I’ve really been able to do this by ignoring what Hollywood is looking for, which is never someone who is six feet tall and athletic-looking. I’ve been able to carve my own career and make choices that have meant a lot to me. I also have wonderful agents who found this project for me. I’d never done television, and I was apprehensive because I’d heard you have to work so fast. But it was no faster than an independent film.
The film was obviously a labor of love, and here you are still being asked about it two years later.
It was really exhilarating because everyone working on the film had a family member or a close friend or someone in their community who they wanted to dedicate their work to in this movie. I’ve been incredibly fortunate, and I love what I do. For me to meet Mary Griffith and talk to her about her story and do this work with our wonderful producers and our cast and tell Mary’s story — it was a kind of journey that a normal person doesn’t get to go on. We got to inhabit that world, as scary as it was. They trusted us with such a great story, and it was an honor to do it. I’m so pleased it’s finally coming out on DVD because I think it can speak to a lot of people.
To purchase the Prayers for Bobby DVD, click here.
Watch the trailer for the film below.
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 3 min 54 sec ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 4 min 59 sec ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 14 min 17 sec ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 20 min 43 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Gay Rapper Le1f Has a Steamy 'Spa Day' 32 min 10 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy 36 min 59 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ben Affleck's Ex-Gay Camp Counselor Says 'Hetero Is Better, Yo!' 1 hour 1 min ago