BY Jeremy Kinser
December 15 2010 9:05 PM ET
You've had an incredibly illustrious career. Do you ever just stop and look back at what you've accomplished?
I never do that. I always think, Where am I going to get my next job? Maybe one day I’ll have the ability to look back like that. I just feel so incredibly fortunate that I’ve been able to work with so many great directors on such great material with wonderful actors and work all over the world. I’ve really been able to do this by ignoring what Hollywood is looking for, which is never someone who is six feet tall and athletic-looking. I’ve been able to carve my own career and make choices that have meant a lot to me. I also have wonderful agents who found this project for me. I’d never done television, and I was apprehensive because I’d heard you have to work so fast. But it was no faster than an independent film.
The film was obviously a labor of love, and here you are still being asked about it two years later.
It was really exhilarating because everyone working on the film had a family member or a close friend or someone in their community who they wanted to dedicate their work to in this movie. I’ve been incredibly fortunate, and I love what I do. For me to meet Mary Griffith and talk to her about her story and do this work with our wonderful producers and our cast and tell Mary’s story — it was a kind of journey that a normal person doesn’t get to go on. We got to inhabit that world, as scary as it was. They trusted us with such a great story, and it was an honor to do it. I’m so pleased it’s finally coming out on DVD because I think it can speak to a lot of people.
To purchase the Prayers for Bobby DVD, click here.
Watch the trailer for the film below.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM