Raja, Ooh La La
BY Brandon Voss
April 26 2011 2:00 PM ET
Did you learn anything from your Top Model experience that helped you on Drag Race?
Being on another reality show really made me aware of cameras, which definitely helped, but from Tyra I learned that you have to keep doing what you do no matter what. I was there in Australia the day Tyra was photographed in that bathing suit that caused so much controversy. The day it happened, we went online and saw the articles and people calling her fat. There are so many haters out there, and being around Tyra just taught me that you just have to ignore all that, do what you do, and do it well.
Did you hear from Tyra after you imitated her during the “Snatch Game” challenge?
No, I haven’t, but I got a lot of support from Miss J. He text messaged me the day he saw the episode, and he was just losing his mind. He was like, “Oh, bitch, that was the most hysterical thing I’ve ever seen. Wait till Tyra sees this.”
You’ve also worked as Adam Lambert’s makeup artist. What have you learned from him as a performer?
I’ve also learned from his example of how he deals with haters. You have to keep making your art and being who you are. That’s really the greatest lesson I’ve learned from friends who are more famous than I am.
Let’s talk about those haters. Perez Hilton has led the argument that you shouldn’t have been allowed to compete because you’ve been friends with Ru for 15 years. How do you respond to that controversy?
All I have to say about that is that I’ve been a professional within the fashion and entertainment industry for many years. I started doing makeup when I was 19, I’ve built my own reputation and body of work within the industry, so it’s inevitable that we’re all going to be aware of each other. We may not all be friends, but we’re definitely aware of each other, and that’s true of anyone I’ve ever come across in the industry. Ru has lived in L.A. before, and she’s obviously a big fan of the drag community, so we’ve met each other many times, but it’s not like I was calling her on the phone to talk about my boy problems. I’m not from Back Swamp, and I’m not new to all this, so she was just aware of my presence.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM