Skyler Cooper Is Smokin’ Hot on
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 22 2011 2:05 PM ET
The lesbian actress, who straddles gender lines and often plays male
roles (her role in Othello brought her early fame, and casting in B-Boy
Blues won her plenty of gay male fans), says something scared her right
“I’m sure you’ve seen the lab,” she laughs of the Drag U set.
“Well, all that pink made me a little nervous and intimidated. The only
thing I own that is pink is my tongue. When I walked through the door, I
really had no idea what the producers and drag professors would do with
Cooper says she did Drag U because “I wanted to see what
the feminine ‘character’ of Skyler Cooper could look like. I know she
lives in me, and I was willing to pay the price in order to see it. I
wanted to see visually, if she were put on stage or in a film, what she
would look like. I think that bill’s been paid. I was stunned!”
So was her drag mentor, the queen she calls “Gorgeous Ongina.”
“I was so happy to have Ongina — I love her style,” Cooper gushes. “All the ‘lady boys,’ as they call themselves, were gorgeous. I love Ongina shows. Besides, I don’t think I would have been able to press Raven. Um, she’s really tall.”
RuPaul had an impact too. “Seeing RuPaul for the first time was surreal,” Cooper admits. “He is a beautiful man/woman in person as well. Everyone on set was fabulous and supportive for my episode. It felt very brotherly and sisterly on set, with a twist.”
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend