Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 5:00 AM ET
FX = Adequate
82.5 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
15.5 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (19%)
2009-10 Score: 27%
2008-09 Score: 13%
2007-08 Score: 45%
This arbiter of edgy programming features Archer, the satirical animated spy series with two regular gay and bisexual characters. The show Sons of Anarchy features the ruthless ATF agent June Stahl, a lesbian villain (despite her law-upholding job) who murdered her girlfriend to cover up corrupt activities. The comedy It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia featured episodes on gay marriage, and another with Mac's transgender ex-girlfriend in an episode that GLAAD said was a vast improvement over her first appearance on the show.
GLAAD Recommends: With Terriers and Lights Out canceled, the organization says the network should "introduce a flesh and blood LGBT regular character to one of their existing series or any new ones in development."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- New Suicide Hotline Dedicated to Trans People Now Open for Calls
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Holding Out for a Gay Hero