Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 6:00 AM ET
FX = Adequate
82.5 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
15.5 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (19%)
2009-10 Score: 27%
2008-09 Score: 13%
2007-08 Score: 45%
This arbiter of edgy programming features Archer, the satirical animated spy series with two regular gay and bisexual characters. The show Sons of Anarchy features the ruthless ATF agent June Stahl, a lesbian villain (despite her law-upholding job) who murdered her girlfriend to cover up corrupt activities. The comedy It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia featured episodes on gay marriage, and another with Mac's transgender ex-girlfriend in an episode that GLAAD said was a vast improvement over her first appearance on the show.
GLAAD Recommends: With Terriers and Lights Out canceled, the organization says the network should "introduce a flesh and blood LGBT regular character to one of their existing series or any new ones in development."
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- WATCH: Stonewall Movie Drops First Trailer
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Think NOM Is Dead? Think Again