Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 6:00 AM ET
USA = Adequate
114 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
21 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (18%)
2009-10 Score: 4%
2008-09 Score: 12%
2007-08 Score: 4%
USA is all about upholding the law, with shows about law enforcement and attorneys. White Collar's lesbian FBI agent, Diana Berrigan, was upgraded to a series regular during the last season after being primarily a supporting character early on. Diana is also one of the few black lesbians on television. Fairly Legal features Spencer Reed, the gay brother of the main character, though GLAAD said the casual viewer would have no idea that Spencer is gay because his sexual orientation has not been addressed on the show. In Plain Sight had a story line about a gay couple in the witness protection program, and the show Psych featured a lesbian in a minor role.
GLAAD Recommends: Though Diana's increased presence on White Collar has helped USA's grade, the network still thinks Fairly Legal's producers could do more to expand Spencer's role.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 44 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM