Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 6:00 AM ET
USA = Adequate
114 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
21 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (18%)
2009-10 Score: 4%
2008-09 Score: 12%
2007-08 Score: 4%
USA is all about upholding the law, with shows about law enforcement and attorneys. White Collar's lesbian FBI agent, Diana Berrigan, was upgraded to a series regular during the last season after being primarily a supporting character early on. Diana is also one of the few black lesbians on television. Fairly Legal features Spencer Reed, the gay brother of the main character, though GLAAD said the casual viewer would have no idea that Spencer is gay because his sexual orientation has not been addressed on the show. In Plain Sight had a story line about a gay couple in the witness protection program, and the show Psych featured a lesbian in a minor role.
GLAAD Recommends: Though Diana's increased presence on White Collar has helped USA's grade, the network still thinks Fairly Legal's producers could do more to expand Spencer's role.
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion