Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 5:00 AM ET
A&E = Failing
290 - Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
14.5 - LGBT-Inclusive Hours (5%)
2009-10 Score: 3%
2008-09 Score: 1%
2007-08 Score: 4%
A&E has received nothing but failing grades, but at least this year it broadcast more LGBT-inclusive programming than ever. At least 75% of the LGBT-inclusive hours counted on A&E this year can be attributed to Paranormal State’s host Ryan Buell, in addition to popular train-wreck program Intervention. The scripted series Breakout Kings features a bisexual inmate named T-Bag.
The network also aired the documentary The September Issue, which includes Vogue editor at large André Leon Talley.
GLAAD Recommends: The report's writers say that telling A&E there's room for improvement "would be an understatement." They suggest the network do more to venture in depth into the lives of LGBT people featured on its shows. Visibility will lessen because Buell announced he won't be returning to Paranormal State for a sixth season.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 1 hour 7 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 1 hour 9 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM