Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 6:00 AM ET
TBS = Failing
86 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
4 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (5%)
2009-10 Score: 2%
2008-09 Score: 1%
2007-08 Score: 7%
The amount of LGBT-inclusive hours on TBS has decreased significantly, dipping as low as 1% in the 2008-2009 season. This year the network is at 5%, but that's mainly because it aired the Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Of all of the TBS programming, Are We There Yet? is one of the few shows to feature a gay character. Cedric was a black gay teen on whom the family’s daughter developed a crush until he came out to her. He was on one episode. Ellen DeGeneres's Somewhat Special Special was an hour-long, one-off event hosted by the lesbian comedian.
GLAAD Recommends: The cancellation of Glory Daze and My Boys will leave a hole in TBS programming. The organization said, "This would be the perfect time to finally introduce a regular (or even recurring) lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender character to one of its shows and start digging its way out of the 'failing' score it’s received for the past four years."
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM