Still In the Closet? Meet Gay TV's Fall Lineup
BY Ari Karpel
September 16 2011 4:00 AM ET
The Playboy Club, NBC, September 19
A drama about the standard-bearer of straight male fantasies has a surprisingly subversive underbelly: Its straight lead is played by bisexual Amber Heard, and one of the other iconic bunny characters and her husband are both closeted and members of the homo-pioneering Mattachine Society. In other words, the show romanticizes objectification of women while pulling back the curtain on a little-known piece of gay history.
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Michael Sam, Cowboys Welcome Lull in Media Attention
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet