MTV Actor: It's The Right Time to Come Out
BY Lucas Grindley
April 11 2012 3:58 PM ET
MTV star Paul Iacono, 23, came out in an interview with the Village Voice in part to give young people another openly gay example of a successful actor.
"I didn't think I'd be coming out. But why not now?" he told Michael Musto. "I think it's the right time to say something."
Iacono, who starred in The Hard Times of RJ Berger as a teenager suddenly made popular by his large penis, is about to roll out another MTV series, called Kenzie's Scale. In this one, he's plays a gay character.
"The whole reason we came up with Kenzie's Scale is to give young gays characters to look up to," he told Musto. "It's great that we have Chris Colfer, but we need more characters."
Glee's Colfer, 21, is another of the few examples of young actors who are openly gay, and who also plays a gay role on television.
Iacono said his character, Cole, is one half of a straight high school sweetheart couple that moves to New York for college. Then Cole realizes he's gay and the show follows them as the duo remain friends.
The Hard Times, which ran for two seasons, also included a gay storyline when RJ discovers that Max, a popular jock and bully on the show, is secretly gay by finding him in the locker room showers making out with another guy. RJ is in love with the girl Max was dating but still promises he won't tell anyone until Max is ready to come out.
Recent Hollywood stars to come out include Matt Bomer, 34, Zachary Quinto, also 34, and Sean Maher, 36.
See more photos of Iacono on the following pages.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 29 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 25 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 59 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 59 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 59 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM