Ryan Kwanten: Predatory Gay Vampires Helped His Character Grow
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 14 2012 3:33 PM ET
Ryan Kwanten says his True Blood character Jason Stackhouse's matter-of-fact attitude toward a predatory gay vampire illustrates how the character has evolved over the past four seasons of the HBO hit, in an interview with Parade.com.
Possible spoiler alert:
In the season 5 premiere, which first aired Sunday, Steve Newlin, a former reverend of the Fellowship of the Sun turned vampire, reveals he's secretly gay and infatuated with Stackhouse, a randy heterosexual deputy sheriff. Kwanten seems pleased with the way his character has grown.
"When you look at Jason in season 1 he had a very tunnel view of the world and some would say an ignorant view," Kwanten says. "And now, that speech he gave to Newlin was 'Look, I accept who you are, whether it's a vampire, whether it's a gay man, or both. But that's not the way this dog barks.' That's a huge step for Jason to change his spots... Towards the end of the season, which we are shooting now, he puts the things he has learned into practice and starts to show his true colors."
Read Kwanten's 2010 interview with The Advocate here.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM