Ryan Kwanten: Predatory Gay Vampires Helped His Character Grow
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 14 2012 4:33 PM ET
Ryan Kwanten says his True Blood character Jason Stackhouse's matter-of-fact attitude toward a predatory gay vampire illustrates how the character has evolved over the past four seasons of the HBO hit, in an interview with Parade.com.
Possible spoiler alert:
In the season 5 premiere, which first aired Sunday, Steve Newlin, a former reverend of the Fellowship of the Sun turned vampire, reveals he's secretly gay and infatuated with Stackhouse, a randy heterosexual deputy sheriff. Kwanten seems pleased with the way his character has grown.
"When you look at Jason in season 1 he had a very tunnel view of the world and some would say an ignorant view," Kwanten says. "And now, that speech he gave to Newlin was 'Look, I accept who you are, whether it's a vampire, whether it's a gay man, or both. But that's not the way this dog barks.' That's a huge step for Jason to change his spots... Towards the end of the season, which we are shooting now, he puts the things he has learned into practice and starts to show his true colors."
Read Kwanten's 2010 interview with The Advocate here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM