Chaz Bono Heads Back to School on Degrassi
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 28 2012 7:07 PM ET
Chaz Bono is headed back to school. The transgender activist and former Dancing With the Stars contestant will appear on TeenNick's long-running drama Degrassi: The Next Generation, according to People magazine.
"I work with a transgender teen support group that is part of the organization Transforming Family," Bono told People. "So when the opportunity to be part of a series that features a trans teen came up, I was thrilled."
Bono, who met the Degrassi folks at last year's Emmys, will appear as a "celebrity judge for a Battle of the Bands style contest at the fictional Degrassi Community School." Even better, Bono will have a scene with the show's transgender teen, Adam (played by Jordan Todosey), who's had a pivotal storyline on the show since coming out.
"Adam's storyline on Degrassi is important to me because it means more transgender representation in the pop culture, and it also sends the message to trans teens that they are not alone in their struggles," Bono told People.
- America's Next Drag Superstar Is 22, Genderqueer, and a Trans Activist
- Father of Bisexual Teenager Who Died by Suicide: 'It’s The Worst Pain You Can Ever Imagine'
- Courtney Act Is No Dumb Blonde
- Jennifer Hudson Celebrates Same-Sex Marriage in 'I Still Love You' Music Video
- WATCH: North Carolina Pastor Tells Gay Grads They're Going To Hell
- Man Who Assaulted Male Couple Is Himself Gay, Claims to Be 'Victim'