Chaz Bono Heads Back to School on Degrassi
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 28 2012 7:07 PM ET
Chaz Bono is headed back to school. The transgender activist and former Dancing With the Stars contestant will appear on TeenNick's long-running drama Degrassi: The Next Generation, according to People magazine.
"I work with a transgender teen support group that is part of the organization Transforming Family," Bono told People. "So when the opportunity to be part of a series that features a trans teen came up, I was thrilled."
Bono, who met the Degrassi folks at last year's Emmys, will appear as a "celebrity judge for a Battle of the Bands style contest at the fictional Degrassi Community School." Even better, Bono will have a scene with the show's transgender teen, Adam (played by Jordan Todosey), who's had a pivotal storyline on the show since coming out.
"Adam's storyline on Degrassi is important to me because it means more transgender representation in the pop culture, and it also sends the message to trans teens that they are not alone in their struggles," Bono told People.
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Congresswoman Slams Science Magazine for Transphobic, Sexist Cover
- Tow Truck Operator Targets LGBT Drivers During Gay Days
- Arizona: Marriage Ban Wasn't Meant to Harm Gay Couples
- Op-ed: NBC's Straight-Washing of John Constantine Is Bi Erasure