Star On the Rise
BY Neal Broverman
July 24 2012 5:00 AM ET
Have you encountered difficulties being a non-white actress in Hollywood?
It's not something I tend to think about too much. There are similar percentages [of racial makeup] in the fashion world. The way I've always coped with it, and what I've continued with in my acting career, is that there are certain things that I can't control and have no desire to control. I am multi-racial, I am gay, and there's not much I can do about those things, nor would I want to if I could. So to sit there and worry, it's not a constructive thing. There are so many subjective things in this industry and there's no one linear path to success, so I could freak out about any number of those things, but for my own sanity I try hard not to go there. I try generally to look at the positive, forward motions of these things. I was really happy in this pilot season that they cast a significant amount of women of color. And Kerry Washington has Scandal and Mindy Kaling has a new show. I do see forward motion, obviously I would wish for more and I would love to be part of that from a purely selfish aspect. I think all you can do is great work and do the best you can.
It's just annoying when you hear people say we're "beyond race."
I wouldn't say that. I'm positive, not delusional (laughs). I don't think we're in a post-sex world; I'm a huge feminist. We've made huge strides but we're still not equal in the workplace in terms of what we're paid and CEO representation. I just prefer to approach it like, There's work to be done, so let's get out there and do it.
Where are you based now?
My wife and I are in L.A. now. We made the move from New York.
Where were you married?
We had a destination wedding off the coast of Mexico, in terms of our ceremony and family and friends. We figured everyone had to travel, given that I'm from Europe. So, we figured we make everyone travel and have the event in the sunshine. We had our legal ceremony in Connecticut two years ago; at the time New York (where she was living) wasn't issuing licenses but they were recognizes marriages performed in other states.
So, tell us about your latest project.
Well, I'm on the fifth season of True Blood, playing a supernatural creature. I'm super excited. I'm having an amazing time.
It looks like a revealing role, physically.
It's True Blood, so it's certainly not for the prudish. In keeping with all the other things I've been talking about, I'm very comfortable with my sexuality and my body. Not to say I don't have any hangups with my body as a woman, but as an actress my job is to tell stories and depict human, and supernatural, experiences. I do relate to my body as part of that instrument.
What does your wife think of your racy scenes? Have you talked about that?
We discuss a lot of things. Talking is one of our favorite activities. Well, one of them (laughs). She and I were drawn together and fell in love because, as much as we're similar in some regards, we come from very different places and we're very different people. So, there's so much fun in sharing your life with someone who has a different perspective on the world. She embraces who I am and what I love to do and is my greatest cheerleader in this journey, as I am with her. But I'm sure it's a little odd (laughs). She's a fitness expert with her own company and she trains me. She says, "At least they can see how great my work is."
True Blood airs on HBO, Sundays at 9 p.m.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 9 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 54 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM