Actor Freddie Smith on Bullying, Bare Chests, and Going Gay for Days of Our Lives
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 23 2012 6:00 AM ET
Playing Sonny, the first gay character on NBC's venerable daytime soap Days of Our Lives, has earned Freddie Smith a GLAAD Award and a legion of gay fans. In this week's story arc — which Smith says will affect LGBT youth and those around them — Sonny gets to take center stage with a pivotal storyline about antigay bullying. The episode tackles insecurities, masculinity, violence, and parental concern. The Advocate caught up with the busy actor to talk about the series, his gay fans, and his bright future in Hollywood.
The Advocate: Tell me about your Days of our Lives storyline coming up. It sounds like you are going to get gay-bashed?
Freddie Smith: When Sonny first came to Salem, he had a run-in with Tad, who was uncomfortable with the fact that Sonny is gay. Tad left for a while, but now he is back and even more angry at Sonny because Tad is blaming Sonny for "turning" Will gay. Tad starts to bully Sonny and it gets violent.
There’s so much violence against young LGBT kids still. How important is an episode like this?
It is very important to bring awareness to bullying. It has such a huge impact on the youth, and we need to show how it negatively affects others. Nowadays there are many ways that kids are getting bullied — through the Internet, school, work. We need to step up and start making a change, and one way the entertainment business and media is helping is by bringing it into everyone's home with great storylines on TV shows and movies.
Your character Sonny Kiriakis was the first openly gay character on Days of Our Lives. What kind of response have you gotten?
I have had 99% great feedback and support for Sonny. It made this entire experience that much more enjoyable knowing that I could shed light on the issues that are happening in the world and tell a story and to show how someone's sexual orientation is just a small part of who they are.
You were on the job several weeks before you found out whom your love interest would be on Days. How fun was that guessing game?
Well, I was pretty sure coming into the role that Will would be my love interest, but then there was talk about maybe Chad being the love interest. Which would have be fine. He is an amazing guy and a great actor but I think is a bit too tall for me. [Laughs]
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 22 min 4 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 57 min 49 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 4 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 11 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM