The New Normal Welcomes Another Broadway Star to Cast
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 27 2012 5:09 PM ET
Broadway performer Jackie Hoffman has been cast as the "smothering" mother of Justin Bartha's character David in NBC's controversial surrogate baby sitcom The New Normal, reports TV Guide.
The comic actress, whose stage credits include the musicals The Addams Family and Xanadu, will first appear in the fifth episode of the comedy as Frances, whom TV Guide describes as the "sometimes smothering" mother of David, who "adores her only child and is thrilled to learn she is going to be grandma." She joins other Broadway vets in the cast including The Book of Mormon's Andrew Rannells and The Normal Heart's Ellen Barkin.
Hoffman is already a sitcom veteran, having previously appeared in 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Raising Hope.
The series from creators Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler will premiere September 11, but has already come under fire from conservative groups such as One Million Moms due to the focus on a gay couple (Bartha and Rannells) attempting to become fathers. Over the weekend Salt Lake City TV station KSL announced it won’t air the series, deeeming it “inappropriate” for the Mormon Church–owned affiliate.
In an interview with The Advocate in July, Rannells expressed his hope that viewers will respond to the show’s timely message.
“Gay or straight, the family dynamic has very much changed based on who’s around to raise the kid,” he said. “Because of divorce or financial reasons there are all sorts of people who have to pitch in to help raise kids.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 1 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 41 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM