The New Normal Welcomes Another Broadway Star to Cast
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 27 2012 4:09 PM ET
Broadway performer Jackie Hoffman has been cast as the "smothering" mother of Justin Bartha's character David in NBC's controversial surrogate baby sitcom The New Normal, reports TV Guide.
The comic actress, whose stage credits include the musicals The Addams Family and Xanadu, will first appear in the fifth episode of the comedy as Frances, whom TV Guide describes as the "sometimes smothering" mother of David, who "adores her only child and is thrilled to learn she is going to be grandma." She joins other Broadway vets in the cast including The Book of Mormon's Andrew Rannells and The Normal Heart's Ellen Barkin.
Hoffman is already a sitcom veteran, having previously appeared in 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Raising Hope.
The series from creators Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler will premiere September 11, but has already come under fire from conservative groups such as One Million Moms due to the focus on a gay couple (Bartha and Rannells) attempting to become fathers. Over the weekend Salt Lake City TV station KSL announced it won’t air the series, deeeming it “inappropriate” for the Mormon Church–owned affiliate.
In an interview with The Advocate in July, Rannells expressed his hope that viewers will respond to the show’s timely message.
“Gay or straight, the family dynamic has very much changed based on who’s around to raise the kid,” he said. “Because of divorce or financial reasons there are all sorts of people who have to pitch in to help raise kids.”
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM