Smash, Glee, and Work It: How Did the TV Networks Rank on LGBT Content?
BY Michelle Garcia
August 30 2012 7:40 AM ET
As Labor Day approaches, it's almost time to set up the DVR to record a new season of fall television. And the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation scored the inclusiveness of what was available last season in its annual report — the Network Responsibility Index.
None of the networks received an "Excellent" score, though Showtime came the closest with 46% of its original programming being LGBT-inclusive. GLAAD also tracked the cable networks that it said were viewed as consistently conservative — TLC and the History Channel. See how those two networks fared on page 6 and get a look at the major networks on the following pages.
For the complete report, visit GLAAD.org.
ABC - "Good"
1101.5 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
302 LGBT-Inclusive hours (27% or 213 gay, 85 bisexual, 58 lesbian, and 31 transgender)
Inclusive shows: Happy Endings, Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, Desperate Housewives, Dancing With the Stars, Revenge, Suburgatory, Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, The Middle, Man Up, Last Man Standing, Expedition Impossible, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Primetime: What Would You Do?
Room for Improvement: Work It. Sure, the show was canceled, but it featured two men dressing as women to get jobs, and most of the humor was derivative of that which mocks transgender women. GLAAD also recommends that more shows include LGBT people of color, such as Luther, James van der Beek's gay assistant on Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 2 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 40 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 49 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM