Smash, Glee, and Work It: How Did the TV Networks Rank on LGBT Content?
BY Michelle Garcia
August 30 2012 8:40 AM ET
As Labor Day approaches, it's almost time to set up the DVR to record a new season of fall television. And the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation scored the inclusiveness of what was available last season in its annual report — the Network Responsibility Index.
None of the networks received an "Excellent" score, though Showtime came the closest with 46% of its original programming being LGBT-inclusive. GLAAD also tracked the cable networks that it said were viewed as consistently conservative — TLC and the History Channel. See how those two networks fared on page 6 and get a look at the major networks on the following pages.
For the complete report, visit GLAAD.org.
ABC - "Good"
1101.5 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
302 LGBT-Inclusive hours (27% or 213 gay, 85 bisexual, 58 lesbian, and 31 transgender)
Inclusive shows: Happy Endings, Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, Desperate Housewives, Dancing With the Stars, Revenge, Suburgatory, Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, The Middle, Man Up, Last Man Standing, Expedition Impossible, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Primetime: What Would You Do?
Room for Improvement: Work It. Sure, the show was canceled, but it featured two men dressing as women to get jobs, and most of the humor was derivative of that which mocks transgender women. GLAAD also recommends that more shows include LGBT people of color, such as Luther, James van der Beek's gay assistant on Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 9 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 2 hours 31 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 2 hours 43 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 2 hours 55 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2:58 PM
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 2:53 PM