X Factor's Drag Contestant Performs Rousing 'Born This Way'
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 13 2012 1:31 PM ET
Quatrele Da’an Smith, an X Factor contestant on last night's season 2 premiere, surprised judges Britney Spears, Simon Cowell, L.A. Reid, and Demi Lavato when he walked onstage dressed as a bride to perform Lady Gaga's empowerment anthem "Born This Way."
"I'm going to go our there and slay that stage," Smith said before his performance. The judges initially chuckled or rolled their eyes at his appearance, with Reid asking if he was getting married today. Smith, who works in a bakery, quickly won over the judges and the audience with his confidence and defiance.
Watch the clip below.
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet