Big Bird's Dads: Kermit Love and Christopher Lyall
BY Michelle Garcia
October 10 2012 1:19 PM ET
Thanks to Mitt Romney, Big Bird has become a symbol of the 2012 election, but did you know that Sesame Street's most iconic resident was created by a gay couple?
Christopher Lyall, who created the 8-foot 2-inch bird with his former partner, the late Kermit Love, told The Daily Beast it was "amazing" that their creation has become a factor in the election. Still, he said it was "very frustrating having to observe the political games and the lies."
President Obama's campaign created an ad Tuesday, attacking Romney for threatening to cut funding to PBS, particularly Big Bird's home, Sesame Street. The ad is tongue-in-cheek, but the producers of the show have asked the Obama campaign to pull the ad, to avoid politicizing the show and its characters.
Love and Lyall were commissioned by Muppet master Jim Henson to create Big Bird based on a sketch of the toy birds that repeatedly dip their beaks into a glass of water. The pair created the bird, composed of Lyall's structure of nylon boning sheathed in muslin with piles of yellow feathers sewn on. The key components were the eyes on this tall creature, ensuring that they were angled just right to make contact with the person with whom Big Bird speaks.
“[Kermit] was very particular about the way the bird looked, and he always got his way,” Lyall told The Daily Beast. “He was a very determined person.”
The couple continually made new birds for broadcasts, events, concerts, films, and countless additional appearances. But by the late 1990s, Love became ill, and Lyall stayed by his side. Love died of congestive heart failure at age 92 in 2008, prompting Lyall to move to his home country, New Zealand.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Memories of JFK From His Gay Best Friend
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM