At Drag Queen Premiere, A Shade of Politics
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 17 2012 11:30 AM ET
Above: Yara gets grilled.
“What qualities do I look for in an All-Star?” pondered RuPaul Charles, leaning back in a patio chair outside the Abbey, a posh gay bar in West Hollywood. “These are the kids who have risen to the top. Listen, they’re all great, but some of these kids, quite frankly, you can’t remember their names. But the ones that we’ve chosen… you understand who they are, why they’re there, and what they bring to the party. And what makes them special is star quality. They have star quality.”
The world’s most famous drag queen was, for the moment, out of drag. Behind him, however, a procession of gowned men strutted the red carpet at the RuPaul’s All Stars Drag Race premiere party. They were the “kids,” the heroes and villains, the “Heathers” and “boogers” from past seasons of Logo’s popular reality television series RuPaul’s Drag Race.
For nearly all of these drag queens, the title of America’s Next Drag Superstar slipped from the tips of their press-on nails. (Raja was the only champion present.) But thanks to a special edition All Stars season, which premieres Monday, 12 former contestants will have another opportunity to snatch the crown.
“The public wanted more of the show,” RuPaul said. “So the obvious choice was to bring back ‘the Avengers’ of drag: the biggest and the baddest.”
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion
- New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Travel S.F. Getting Its Own Rainbow Crosswalks 10 min 23 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 2 20 min 27 sec ago
- Media New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks 22 min 34 sec ago
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 48 min 56 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 56 min 23 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 1 hour 2 min ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 1 hour 4 min ago