American Horror Story: Asylum's Lizzie Brocheré Talks About Sex and Terror
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 31 2012 4:39 AM ET
Let me ask you about some of your other works. In one of your films, After Fall, Winter you were a nurse who moonlighted as a dominatrix.
And in another film, One To Another, nearly everybody was bisexual and sex was a big part of the film.
In American Translation also: it was a love story between a serial killer and his girlfriend, and it was very sexually driven. It was the same director of One To Another.
Yes, American Translation, they called that a Bonnie and Clyde with a gay Gen Y twist. Do you get criticism when you do these provocative films?
I do. Well, it's not really criticism because maybe in France we’re a lot more open-minded, you know, about these things. I was 19 years old when I did One To Another, and I really had reason to do it. In France, I’m part of a generation where we have access to porn films very easily… when we did it — and I’m saying "us" because I’ve been working with these directors since I’ve been 19 years old, and I’ve been co-writing with them, and I believe in what we’re saying in those films. We were hoping to give a very different image about sexuality. The image of sex [in film was all these] cute romantic comedies, teen movies but at the same time having access to all these trashy [porn films]. It’s not a criticism about porn films but [we thought] maybe there’s another way of seeing sexuality and showing a sex scene and a way of showing it in a beautiful and humanized way, not like all these stunts that these porn people seem to be doing. [Laughs] Something that can be a lot more fragile. It’s a very different imagery of sex. It’s not something that you’ve been used to.
I think the concept that sexuality is sort of imbued with meaning in the film is a sort of novel.
Yeah, yes, yes. And that your sexuality is part of your identity. The other film, as the dominatrix, I mean, that was a comedy, that was, there was no sexuality shown on screen. It was very American. [Laughs] But it was a really fun movie. What was funny about doing the part was just playing a dominatrix. I kind of met a lot, and what was interesting there, in the same way, I guess what I did in the French film, the art house thing you were talking about. It was showing a different vision of what female sexuality could be —instead of all the imagery you have of women in porn films being totally submissive. I loved that character. She was great. She was very powerful and at the same time, a lot of humor. There’s a lot of humor in BDSM, a lot. You know, they’re not taking themselves too seriously. You can’t when you’re like, chained up in some kind of cage with a mask on your face. I like that, I like that.
France has kind of a different perspective on sexuality. Over all, is it an issue in France for women to identify as lesbian or bisexual?
I think it’s more accepted. I don’t think it’s an issue really. I think for men it’s more difficult. I think it’s actually cool to be a bisexual woman. I’ve never had any problems, you know, not that I’m bisexual but if I said something like what I just said, it wouldn’t make people go crazy. [Laughs]
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM