Glee, Modern Family Changing Conservative Minds on Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
November 05 2012 6:43 PM ET
All the right-wing propaganda is true: LGBT characters on television are influencing Americans. A new poll finds that viewers of shows such as Glee and Modern Family grow more tolerant of same-sex marriage.
The study, conducted by The Hollywood Reporter and Penn Schoen Berland, looked at 10 years of television viewing among a wide range of Americans. When asked how they were affected by shows featuring gay characters in relationships, 27% said they grew more tolerant of marriage equality. Only 6% say they grew less tolerant. Obama supporters seemed to be more malleable, with 30% more accepting of same-sex marriage following exposure to gay portrayals. Thirteen percent of Romney supporters grew more accepting, though 12% said they became less accepting.
"Obama voters are twice as likely to watch Modern Family as Romney voters are, twice as likely to watch Glee, and three times more likely to watch The New Normal," according to the study.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment