Glee, Modern Family Changing Conservative Minds on Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
November 05 2012 7:43 PM ET
All the right-wing propaganda is true: LGBT characters on television are influencing Americans. A new poll finds that viewers of shows such as Glee and Modern Family grow more tolerant of same-sex marriage.
The study, conducted by The Hollywood Reporter and Penn Schoen Berland, looked at 10 years of television viewing among a wide range of Americans. When asked how they were affected by shows featuring gay characters in relationships, 27% said they grew more tolerant of marriage equality. Only 6% say they grew less tolerant. Obama supporters seemed to be more malleable, with 30% more accepting of same-sex marriage following exposure to gay portrayals. Thirteen percent of Romney supporters grew more accepting, though 12% said they became less accepting.
"Obama voters are twice as likely to watch Modern Family as Romney voters are, twice as likely to watch Glee, and three times more likely to watch The New Normal," according to the study.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 3 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 47 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM