Andrew Rannells a 'Purebred' Gay Man
BY Trudy Ring
January 11 2013 3:30 PM ET
Elijah, Andrew Rannells’s character in Girls, may be intensely, uh, attracted to a woman in the show’s season premiere, which shows him wondering if he might be bisexual rather than gay, but the gay actor is unquestioning about his real-life sexuality.
“I personally have never had sex with a woman,” Rannells, who also stars in The New Normal, told New York magazine’s entertainment blog Vulture. “I’m more of what you call gold-star gay. I’m purebred.”
Rannells says he’s among the minority of gay men, as most of them have had sex with a woman at some point — some even after they’ve concluded that yep, they’re gay. “I have a lot of friends who, actually, after they’ve realized they're gay, they feel empowered in a way that they do some things that they didn’t think they would do, like explore some things because they’re a little more comfortable with who they are,” he told the blog.
The season 2 premiere of Girls airs at Sunday at 9 p.m. Eastern on HBO.
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why Are We Gay?
- Freeheld: Love In the Time of Cancer
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself