Here TV Puts 10 Candles on the Cake
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2013 6:42 PM ET
When The Advocate was founded in 1967, it was a daring endeavor. But just as rebellious as it was to launch a gay magazine 46 years ago was the idea to create exclusive television content for an LGBT audience a decade ago.
That's what Here TV — owned by the same company as The Advocate — did 10 years ago, and it's been providing unabashedly queer content ever since. The 24-hour subscription service airs on all major U.S. cable systems and in 96 of the top 100 U.S. markets, and features sexy fare like The Lair, hilarious shows such as She's Living for This, and news programs including For and Against.
"When we launced the network, a purely LGBT network was met with great skepticism and tremendous resistance," said Josh Rosenzweig, Here TV's senior vice president of original programming and development.
Here is not backing away from LGBT content and is launching the New Frontiers Film Project as a way for LGBT filmmakers to submit projects for broadcast in coming years. But for now, click through to see some of the network's diverse lineup and click here to read more about the network.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 55 min 3 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 29 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 29 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 29 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM