WATCH: Anderson Cooper's Oscar Pick is AIDS Documentary How to Survive a Plague
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 09 2013 2:31 PM ET
On next Monday's episode of Anderson Cooper's daytime talk show, Anderson Live, the out CNN correspondent sits down with AIDS activist Peter Staley to discuss the Oscar-nominated AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague. Cooper notes that Plague is his pick to win the Oscar for Best Documentary.
Staley is a long-time gay rights activist who was pivotal in the fight to address the AIDS epidemic on a national scale, and is featured prominently in the documentary from director David France. Although the film is about early AIDS activism, Staley and Cooper contend it isn't simply an AIDS documentary. Rather, Plague is a history lesson and inspirational call to action, directed especially at young LGBT people who did not live through the initial crisis with skyrocketing death tolls and heinous government negligence, according to Staley.
Watch the clip below, and catch the entire interview when it airs on Monday, February 11 at noon Eastern, 1 p.m. Pacific.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Is First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 3 min 5 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 2 hours 54 min ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns: First Openly Gay Footballer UPDATED: 11:56 AM