WATCH: Anderson Cooper's Oscar Pick is AIDS Documentary How to Survive a Plague
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 09 2013 2:31 PM ET
On next Monday's episode of Anderson Cooper's daytime talk show, Anderson Live, the out CNN correspondent sits down with AIDS activist Peter Staley to discuss the Oscar-nominated AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague. Cooper notes that Plague is his pick to win the Oscar for Best Documentary.
Staley is a long-time gay rights activist who was pivotal in the fight to address the AIDS epidemic on a national scale, and is featured prominently in the documentary from director David France. Although the film is about early AIDS activism, Staley and Cooper contend it isn't simply an AIDS documentary. Rather, Plague is a history lesson and inspirational call to action, directed especially at young LGBT people who did not live through the initial crisis with skyrocketing death tolls and heinous government negligence, according to Staley.
Watch the clip below, and catch the entire interview when it airs on Monday, February 11 at noon Eastern, 1 p.m. Pacific.
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 50 min 52 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 52 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM