WATCH: 10 Here TV Shows That Changed Our View of LGBT Life
BY Daniel Villarreal
May 09 2013 2:30 PM ET
4. Lesbian Sex & Sexuality
Honest discussions of lesbian sexuality on TV are almost as hard to find as accurate depictions of female orgasms on film — they're virtually nonexistent.
Which is why the two-season run of producer Katherine Linton's Lesbian Sex & Sexuality was so revolutionary. The show fearlessly delved into issues of polyamory, female-run porn studios, BDSM, erotica, strippers, roller derby, burlesque, and the sex lives of trans women while also examining women and sex work, feminist outlooks on desire, and the myth of lesbian bed death. (There was even an episode in season 2 featuring The Advocate's executive editor, Diane Anderson-Minshall, talking about fashion and desire).
The camera also provided an unflinching look at real women's bodies and intimate portraits of queer women who boldly pursue their desires.
You can watch the Lesbian Sex & Sexuality trailer below:
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World