Should Cameron and Mitchell Get Hitched?
BY Lucas Grindley
May 16 2013 5:37 PM ET
The ACLU has started a petition drive calling on Modern Family to marry off its famous gay couple.
"America Wants to See Cam & Mitch Get Hitched," declares its new website, ModernFamilyWedding.com. The site features a groom-and-groom cake topper that bears a certain resemblance to the two actors who play the beloved gay dads, Cameron and Mitchell.
Actor Jessie Tyler Ferguson plays Mitchell on the show (he's also The Advocate's latest cover man), and he tweeted a photo of the ACLU's campaign. "Love this!" he wrote. "Thank you ACLU! Maybe once Prop 8 is overturned!"
The fictional duo live in California, where real-world laws make it illegal for same-sex couples to get married. But a case challenging the Prop. 8 law is now under consideration by the U.S. Supreme Court, which is expected to rule in June on whether the law stands.
Maybe "Cam & Mitch" will be among the flood of couples that take advantage of marriage equality if the law is overturned.
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The 'Ex-Gay' Candidate for Missouri Governor
- Queer Women in Their 30s Give Advice to Their 20-Something Selves
- Op-ed: Dear Walmart, Do the Right Thing — Give Married Workers Equal Benefits