WATCH: Ian McKellen Takes a Stroll Down Sesame Street
BY Patrick Yacco
December 13 2013 3:21 PM ET
Out actor Ian McKellen recently took a brief stroll down Sesame Street and made a guest appearance on the long-running children's program
In a short clip emphasizing the importance of good manners, McKellen is stopped by a Gandalf muppet and told, “You shall not pass,” until the actor says the magic word: "Please."
The clip was uploaded to Sesame Street's Vine account on December 10, and ties in with the show's Lord of the Rings parody, brilliantly titled Lord of the Crumbs, revolving around Cookie Monster’s quest for his beloved dessert.
Both segments will air in a new episode of Sesame Street today, which also coincides with the theatrical release of the latest installment in director Peter Jackson's cinematic homage to J.R.R. Tolkein, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
McKellen is currently starring in two Broadway plays — No Man's Land and Waiting for Godot — opposite Patrick Stewart. The two managed to generate a surprising amount of buzz on social media over the summer as Stewart's Twitter account became notorious for showcasing the pals' escapades through the Big Apple, which included the pair hanging out with Elmo in Times Square, jogging across the Brooklyn Bridge, and even enjoying a break with statues in Christopher Park, a small area in New York City across from the historic Stonewall Inn.
McKellen and Stewart will appear on screen together once again in next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past as they repirse thier roles as Magneto and Professor X, respectively.
Watch the Lord of the Crumbs clip below, and catch a glimpse of McKellen’s guest appearance at Sesame Street’s Twitter page.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 17 min 52 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 17 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 19 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM