RuPaul and Drag Race Queens Remember Their First Time
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 19 2014 7:00 AM ET
From left: Matthew Anderson, Kelly Mantle, Joslyn Fox
“I think I’d say my first official time in drag was after I had seen Madonna on MTV rolling around on the stage singing 'Like a Virgin' in a wedding dress," Kelly Mantle says. "I remember going to my grandma’s house the weekend after and she had this nightgown that I thought looked like a wedding dress, so I put it on and rolled around her kitchen floor lip-synching to 'Like a Virgin.'"
“From the first time I put on my mother’s heels as a little boy it all fell into place and I knew I’d found the thing I was going to do for the rest of my life," Joslyn Fox says. "But the first time I actually performed in drag was to Rihanna’s ‘Please Don’t Stop the Music’ and I haven’t stopped yet.”
Before the premiere commenced, RuPaul thanked “the most important person who is a part of the Drag Race team … my hair and makeup man, Matthew Anderson,” who is pictured above.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers