RuPaul and Drag Race Queens Remember Their First Time
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 19 2014 7:00 AM ET
From left: Matthew Anderson, Kelly Mantle, Joslyn Fox
“I think I’d say my first official time in drag was after I had seen Madonna on MTV rolling around on the stage singing 'Like a Virgin' in a wedding dress," Kelly Mantle says. "I remember going to my grandma’s house the weekend after and she had this nightgown that I thought looked like a wedding dress, so I put it on and rolled around her kitchen floor lip-synching to 'Like a Virgin.'"
“From the first time I put on my mother’s heels as a little boy it all fell into place and I knew I’d found the thing I was going to do for the rest of my life," Joslyn Fox says. "But the first time I actually performed in drag was to Rihanna’s ‘Please Don’t Stop the Music’ and I haven’t stopped yet.”
Before the premiere commenced, RuPaul thanked “the most important person who is a part of the Drag Race team … my hair and makeup man, Matthew Anderson,” who is pictured above.
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation