Without Her We're Nothing
BY Job Brother
November 18 2008 12:00 AM ET
What kind of conversations have you had with your
daughter about sexuality and the circumstances
she’s being raised in? We’ve never had a definitive conversation
about it. We’re living in New York and L.A.,
fortunately, and she’s surrounded by all kinds of
amazing people, and she goes to a fabulous school --
it’s never been an issue. But she gets it. She
understands the struggle of other people. She’s
aware of what’s been happening politically, and
she’s very interested and involved with it.
Has your daughter seen the film version of this show? Bits and pieces. I don’t think
it’s necessary to expose her to all of my work
at this point. There’s a time and a place for her to
fully understand what I do as a performer.
She’s come to my live shows and loves being
around the musicians, but I don’t think she’s
interested in pursuing it herself. I’m glad
about that. [Laughs]
If you could give advice to the Sandra of 20 years
ago, what would it be? Oh, there’s no way I would! Without the
Sandra of 20 years ago I wouldn’t be who I am
today. Would I repeat some of those things now? No, of
course not, but I think everything I’ve gone
through and allowed myself to experience has led me to
the next level of maturity and spiritual awareness. I
don’t regret anything I’ve done in my life.
I’ve certainly never hurt anybody or been
malicious. I try to keep everything on the up-and-up.
I’m pretty happy with the different experiences
I’ve had along the way.
Well, that’s it. We’re done! Thank you. You
know, I saw the film version of Without You
I’m Nothing when it first came out,
and it had a profound impact on me and ... well,
I’ve been a roadie for you ever since. [Laughs] Well, good. Come and lift some
For information or to order tickets go toSandra Bernhard.com.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 54 min 7 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 54 min 53 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 1 hour 25 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM