Rent, Take Two
BY Charles Romaine
February 17 2009 12:00 AM ET
The movie version just didn't work. It should have been done
the way you got to do it -- filmed live.
Yes, I agree it should have been filmed live.
How different was it to perform with cameras? Did it
interfere at all with the "live" aspect of your
performance? Did you have to make any spontaneous
I don't remember any intrusions at all. We ran through the big
numbers the day before and filmed some close-ups on numbers
like "Christmas Bells." I was very determined to show
that we were actors and not let the cameras affect the
performance. You know, if you go out there and do what you do
every night, you'll be fine.
When you're not working, where do you spend most of your
time? New York or L.A.?
I am planning to be as bicoastal as possible, but L.A. is
Besides theater, what else would you love to accomplish in
your career or just personally?
I want to do an album. But I want to do an album that is me and
what I want to say, not just a collection of theater songs. You
know, singing is my first love, but I'd also love to just act
... do a play and stretch those muscles.
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 31 min 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1 hour 14 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 1 hour 15 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 1 hour 36 min ago
- World News Two Gay Men Now Lead Luxembourg 1 hour 50 min ago
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 2 hours 35 min ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 10:42 AM