Rent, Take Two
BY Charles Romaine
February 17 2009 12:00 AM ET
The movie version just didn't work. It should have been done
the way you got to do it -- filmed live.
Yes, I agree it should have been filmed live.
How different was it to perform with cameras? Did it
interfere at all with the "live" aspect of your
performance? Did you have to make any spontaneous
I don't remember any intrusions at all. We ran through the big
numbers the day before and filmed some close-ups on numbers
like "Christmas Bells." I was very determined to show
that we were actors and not let the cameras affect the
performance. You know, if you go out there and do what you do
every night, you'll be fine.
When you're not working, where do you spend most of your
time? New York or L.A.?
I am planning to be as bicoastal as possible, but L.A. is
Besides theater, what else would you love to accomplish in
your career or just personally?
I want to do an album. But I want to do an album that is me and
what I want to say, not just a collection of theater songs. You
know, singing is my first love, but I'd also love to just act
... do a play and stretch those muscles.
- Media How to Get a Job With Nate Silver 1 hour 11 min ago
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 7:00 AM
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 6:00 AM
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM