Revisiting the West Side
BY Charles Kaiser
March 20 2009 12:00 AM ET
The most vibrant
musical portrait of 20th-century Manhattan ever written was
magnificently reborn last night on the stage of the Palace
West Side Story
once again took Broadway by storm.
This superb new
production is directed by the tireless 91-year-old Arthur
Laurents, who also wrote the book for this gem from 1957.
Almost everything here is better than it was in the original,
including the new bilingual songs and dialogue, the spectacular
new sets by James Youmans, and even the very slightly tweaked
Leonard Bernstein score, which has always been the glowing
heart of this creation.
A week ago
was already a huge commercial success, with an advance sale of
$14 million -- the largest ever for a Broadway revival.
Created by four gay
Jewish men -- collaborating with Laurents and
Bernstein on the musical were lyricist Stephen Sondheim and
choreographer Jerome Robbins --
remains the unsurpassed creation of gay American culture in the
1950s, although its collaborators have always insisted that
their understanding of prejudice was more informed by their
Jewishness than by their sexuality.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 52 min 29 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 17 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 52 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM