Revisiting the West Side
BY Charles Kaiser
March 19 2009 11:00 PM ET
The most vibrant
musical portrait of 20th-century Manhattan ever written was
magnificently reborn last night on the stage of the Palace
West Side Story
once again took Broadway by storm.
This superb new
production is directed by the tireless 91-year-old Arthur
Laurents, who also wrote the book for this gem from 1957.
Almost everything here is better than it was in the original,
including the new bilingual songs and dialogue, the spectacular
new sets by James Youmans, and even the very slightly tweaked
Leonard Bernstein score, which has always been the glowing
heart of this creation.
A week ago
was already a huge commercial success, with an advance sale of
$14 million -- the largest ever for a Broadway revival.
Created by four gay
Jewish men -- collaborating with Laurents and
Bernstein on the musical were lyricist Stephen Sondheim and
choreographer Jerome Robbins --
remains the unsurpassed creation of gay American culture in the
1950s, although its collaborators have always insisted that
their understanding of prejudice was more informed by their
Jewishness than by their sexuality.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 2 hours 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM