Dolly Punches In to Broadway
BY Mike Diamond
May 20 2009 11:00 PM ET
A curtain of telephone cords rises to the sound of alarm clocks and the familiar opening beat of Dolly Parton's Oscar-nominated title song. Dancers in very late disco-era styling -- striped tube socks, moustaches, wrap skirts, and a surplus of feathered hair (there was surely an army of curling irons backstage) pantomime the transition from slumber and morning coffee to working-stiff drudgery. The number itself, with some minor tweaking, makes a successful transition to musical theater and the dancers are very energetic; never have work-weary office drones had such a bouncy "Up With People" joie de vivre.
Soon enough the action moves to the suitably gray- and beige-toned offices of Consolidated, and enter the three main characters of 9 to 5: The Musical: mousy, first-time worker Judy Bernly (Stephanie J. Block), wry single mom Violet Newstead (Allison Janney), and sexy country gal Doralee Rhodes (Megan Hilty).
If you are one of the .00001% of gays who has never seen the 1980 movie (shame on you!), the basic story goes like this: The three ladies engage in a battle of the sexes with their boss, Franklin Hart Jr. (Marc Kudisch), a "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot." Put upon, passed over, and fed up, the women bond over shared anger as well as some very strong marijuana. There Sis an accidental poisoning of the boss. Hilarity ensues.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM