David Greenspan: Other Mother's Day
BY Brandon Voss
June 09 2009 12:00 AM ET
Move over, Teri Hatcher, because there's another Other Mother in town — and this time she's a man! Portraying the same manipulative matron voiced by the desperate housewife in the recent animated film version, out actor David Greenspan inhabits Other Mother in a creepy new apparition of Coraline off-Broadway.
Based on Neil Gaiman's 2002 children's novel, which Greenspan also adapted for the stage, the ambitious musical further challenges expectations with the casting of middle-aged Tony nominee Jayne Houdyshell as precocious 9-year-old protagonist Coraline Jones. Feeling neglected by her preoccupied mother and father, Coraline discovers an enticing parallel world behind a strange door in her new apartment, but she quickly realizes that her Other parents aren't as perfect as they seem.
Helmed by out director Leigh Silverman (Lisa Kron's Well) and featuring music by out singer-songwriter Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields, Coraline runs through July 5 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre. A fixture of New York's downtown performance scene (and an Obie award winner for Terrence McNally's Some Men and a revival of Matt Crowley's The Boys in the Band), Greenspan gives Advocate.com the gender-bending goods on his otherworldly villainess.
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 41 min 34 sec ago
- Politics S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 51 min 25 sec ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 1 hour 17 min ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 1 hour 25 min ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 31 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 36 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 2 hours 29 min ago