BY Duane Wells
September 10 2009 2:00 PM ET
In the wake of the passage of Proposition 8 last November, many of Hollywood's most recognizable names stood shoulder-to-shoulder in the streets with LGBT people to protest the voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage in the Golden State. Now, many of those same Hollywood A-listers are joining forces with some equally A-list playwrights to once again stand up and show their support for equal marriage rights vis-à-vis Standing on Ceremony: The Gay Marriage Plays, a staged reading that will benefit the Human Rights Campaign.
Standing on Ceremony, to be performed September 12 at North Hollywood's El Portal Theatre, is the brainchild of the Attic Theatre's artistic director Brian Shnipper, who conceptualized the event in response to the California supreme court’s ruling upholding Prop. 8. Spurred to action by the court’s decision, Shnipper contacted prominent American playwrights and asked them to create short plays addressing the issue of gay marriage in America and soon found himself with not only 12 superlative plays but a red carpet’s worth of talent lined up to participate as well.
Among those scheduled to appear in the one-night-only production are Jason Alexander, Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Amy Brenneman, Darryl Stephens, Wilson Cruz, Zachary Quinto, Timothy Olyphant, Dan Futterman, and Alfre Woodard. This stellar roster of talent will bring to life a diverse collection of works from a list of award-winning playwrights that includes Terrence McNally, Susan Miller, and José Rivera.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 27 min 2 sec ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 27 min 26 sec ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM