BY Brandon Voss
September 21 2009 12:15 PM ET
Much more deserving of its Outstanding Play award is Buddy Thomas’s
Devil Boys From Beyond, an all-male spoof of 1950s sci-fi B-movies at
the Actors’ Playhouse. The premise is shamelessly silly: Rival
reporters try to scoop the story when aliens from a gay planet have
invaded Lizard Lick, Fla., and replaced the old townsmen with sexy
young muscle men to impregnate the townswomen and propagate their race.
We don’t actually discover the sexuality and motives of the invaders
until the final scene, but it sure doesn’t spoil the fun to know that
titillating twist up-front.
Fans of the drag genre send-ups perfected by Charles Busch and Charles Ludlam will have a devil of a good time watching these boys. In fact, adding class and maturity to the sometimes shaky production are Andy Halliday, a longtime member of Charles Busch’s Theater-in-Limbo, and Everett Quinton, a member of Charles Ludlam’s Ridiculous Theatre Company for 21 years. But I strongly encourage you to Google professional models Jeff Riberdy and Jacques Mitchell, who look damn good while uttering a few monotone lines as the scantily clad alien lovers. Thank me later.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 36 min 13 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 37 min 6 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 52 min 54 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM