Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for September 2009
BY Brandon Voss
September 21 2009 12:15 PM ET
Much more deserving of its Outstanding Play award is Buddy Thomas’s Devil Boys From Beyond, an all-male spoof of 1950s sci-fi B-movies at the Actors’ Playhouse. The premise is shamelessly silly: Rival reporters try to scoop the story when aliens from a gay planet have invaded Lizard Lick, Fla., and replaced the old townsmen with sexy young muscle men to impregnate the townswomen and propagate their race. We don’t actually discover the sexuality and motives of the invaders until the final scene, but it sure doesn’t spoil the fun to know that titillating twist up-front.
Fans of the drag genre send-ups perfected by Charles Busch and Charles Ludlam will have a devil of a good time watching these boys. In fact, adding class and maturity to the sometimes shaky production are Andy Halliday, a longtime member of Charles Busch’s Theater-in-Limbo, and Everett Quinton, a member of Charles Ludlam’s Ridiculous Theatre Company for 21 years. But I strongly encourage you to Google professional models Jeff Riberdy and Jacques Mitchell, who look damn good while uttering a few monotone lines as the scantily clad alien lovers. Thank me later.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM