Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for September 2009
BY Brandon Voss
September 21 2009 12:15 PM ET
Much more deserving of its Outstanding Play award is Buddy Thomas’s Devil Boys From Beyond, an all-male spoof of 1950s sci-fi B-movies at the Actors’ Playhouse. The premise is shamelessly silly: Rival reporters try to scoop the story when aliens from a gay planet have invaded Lizard Lick, Fla., and replaced the old townsmen with sexy young muscle men to impregnate the townswomen and propagate their race. We don’t actually discover the sexuality and motives of the invaders until the final scene, but it sure doesn’t spoil the fun to know that titillating twist up-front.
Fans of the drag genre send-ups perfected by Charles Busch and Charles Ludlam will have a devil of a good time watching these boys. In fact, adding class and maturity to the sometimes shaky production are Andy Halliday, a longtime member of Charles Busch’s Theater-in-Limbo, and Everett Quinton, a member of Charles Ludlam’s Ridiculous Theatre Company for 21 years. But I strongly encourage you to Google professional models Jeff Riberdy and Jacques Mitchell, who look damn good while uttering a few monotone lines as the scantily clad alien lovers. Thank me later.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 1 hour 29 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM