BY Brandon Voss
September 21 2009 12:15 PM ET
Next, I headed down to the Cherry Lane Theatre to
catch His Greatness, a terrific three-hander that imagines two possible
days late in the life of Tennessee Williams. Never referred to by name
and called only “The Playwright” in the program, the cantankerous
Williamsian character has traveled to Vancouver with his fey assistant
for the premiere of his latest play, which the audience seemed to enjoy
but critics tore apart. It reminded me of the stories I’ve read about
Williams’s late plays Vieux Carré and Clothes for a Summer Hotel, which
opened and closed quickly on Broadway in 1977 and 1980, respectively.
Critics seemed to agree that although these efforts were far from
the caliber of Streetcar and Menagerie, curious die-hard fans might
enjoy seeing them anyway for brief flashes of the playwright’s former
FringeNYC favorite and GLAAD Award–winning Canadian playwright
Daniel MacIvor shows his own budding greatness with an ear for
intelligent, witty, lyrical dialogue to which Williams himself would
surely raise his whiskey glass. Peter Goldfarb and Daniel Domingues are
both brilliant and heartbreaking as the playwright and his faithful yet
tiring caretaker, but the breakout star is the handsome Michael Busillo
as an animated young escort who comes between the two longtime
companions with his seductive charms and a big bag of coke.
off-Broadway in gay-themed shows like Texas Homos and Joy, Busillo is
the go-to guy when a role calls for a talented actor who must strip
down to his drawers, and he most certainly doesn’t disappoint here.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 40 min 41 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 20 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 29 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM