Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for September 2009
BY Brandon Voss
September 21 2009 12:15 PM ET
Next, I headed down to the Cherry Lane Theatre to catch His Greatness, a terrific three-hander that imagines two possible days late in the life of Tennessee Williams. Never referred to by name and called only “The Playwright” in the program, the cantankerous Williamsian character has traveled to Vancouver with his fey assistant for the premiere of his latest play, which the audience seemed to enjoy but critics tore apart. It reminded me of the stories I’ve read about Williams’s late plays Vieux Carré and Clothes for a Summer Hotel, which opened and closed quickly on Broadway in 1977 and 1980, respectively. Critics seemed to agree that although these efforts were far from the caliber of Streetcar and Menagerie, curious die-hard fans might enjoy seeing them anyway for brief flashes of the playwright’s former glory.
FringeNYC favorite and GLAAD Award–winning Canadian playwright Daniel MacIvor shows his own budding greatness with an ear for intelligent, witty, lyrical dialogue to which Williams himself would surely raise his whiskey glass. Peter Goldfarb and Daniel Domingues are both brilliant and heartbreaking as the playwright and his faithful yet tiring caretaker, but the breakout star is the handsome Michael Busillo as an animated young escort who comes between the two longtime companions with his seductive charms and a big bag of coke. Seen off-Broadway in gay-themed shows like Texas Homos and Joy, Busillo is the go-to guy when a role calls for a talented actor who must strip down to his drawers, and he most certainly doesn’t disappoint here.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM