Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for September 2009
BY Brandon Voss
September 21 2009 1:15 PM ET
On the last day of the fest I caught the revival of Jonny McGovern’s GLAAD Award–nominated Dirty Stuff at the Actors’ Playhouse. Yes, I know it’s another one-man situation, but the “Soccer Practice” singer has proved himself a master of creating gut-busting characters as star of Logo's Big Gay Sketch Show. Besides, the popular podcaster was also the one who brought The Wendy Williams Show’s alleged discrimination against Erickatoure Aviance to Advocate.com’s attention, so I was sure to work a fierce daytime look for an afternoon performance of Dirty Stuff.
With DJ Tekshur churning out beats onstage in bejeweled headphones, McGovern broke a manly sweat as he sharply popped between alter egos like a wealthy Arab druggie and an awkward closet case in desperate need of a Prada makeover. But the funniest misfits to materialize from his dirty mind were trailer park princess Lurleen and washed-up blaxploitation flick diva Chocolate Puddin’, who cut and clawed over a fake Chanel purse while they duet on “The Bag Is Mine,” a Brandy vs. Monica homage. With cleverness and charisma like his, it’s no wonder the crowd-pleasing Gay Pimp was tapped to host FringeNYC’s annual Gay Highlights Party at Vlada Lounge.
My second-favorite part of Fringe is the end, but only to see which shows are deemed worthy enough to extend as part of the FringeNYC Encore Series, which runs now through September 27. This year His Greatness, The Boys Upstairs, Devil Boys From Beyond, and Notes on the Land of Earthquake & Fire all got the green light to linger for five more performances each.
For next month’s column -- listen up, ladies! -- I’ll have the lowdown on a lesbian Lizzie Borden rock musical, off-Broadway’s bisexual answer to Inglourious Basterds, Nora Ephron’s so-called “Vagina Monologues without the vaginas” starring Rosie O’Donnell, and much, much more. As always, I’ll save you a front-row seat!
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Op-ed: It's Time To End 'Swiss Cheese' Equality
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 1 hour 3 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1 hour 52 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM