BY Tom Judson
September 23 2009 2:30 PM ET
"This Car Didn't Climb Mount Washington"
Mount Washington, Mass. -- That dateline is so wrong: The fabled Mount Washington Auto Road is in New Hampshire, while this modest country byway I futzed around on is just over the Massachusetts border from New York State. I took the detour when I saw Bish Bash Falls noted on the same sign as Mount Washington. But after clocking the specified mileage I found no Bish Bash Falls, no Mount Washington, and at one point came perilously close to Connecticut. God knows how I'll ever find my way to California. I did, however, stumble upon this arrestingly handsome vista at the curious intersection of East Road and West Road. (Seems to me they should run parallel.)
I never did find the falls, but I really just like the sound of the name. "Bish Bash Falls." Say it aloud three times. It will make you smile.
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?