Randy Harrison: Randy Does Andy
BY Brandon Voss
December 04 2009 7:55 AM ET
In retrospect, could the substance-abusing, hypersexualized characters on Queer as Folk have done more harm than good in the long run?
Just last night somebody came up to me and was like, “I wouldn’t have gotten through my adolescence if that show hadn’t been on television.” So that good outweighs however obnoxious the show might have potentially gotten.
Do you ever stumble across the edited reruns that currently air on Logo?
No. I wouldn’t watch it. I have a lot of friends that I’ve made since the show who’ve never seen it, and occasionally they’ll say, “Oh, my God, I was watching TV and I saw that show you were on.” They always say, “You were so blond!”
What are the chances of a Queer as Folk reunion special? I’d totally watch A Very Queer as Folksy Christmas.
I’m pretty certain there will never be a reunion, but I do see the cast maybe once a year. I’m in New York and they’re mostly all in L.A., but when I’m out there I try to see some of them for lunch. We all get along.
Getting back to your theater work, the last time you appeared on the New York stage was this past spring at the Public Theater in Craig Lucas’s The Singing Forest, a complicated epic in which you played a gay Starbucks barista and a straight Nazi officer. In one scene, your Nazi character raped Olympia Dukakis’s character from behind for what felt like an eternity. Does that top of the list of surreal things you’ve had to do onstage?
Yes, it does. I was really excited to be a part of that project because I’m such a fan of Craig and the two roles I played were so extraordinarily polar opposite. I’d done a lot of classical work like Shakespeare, Marlowe, and Beckett, but I hadn’t done a new play since A Letter From Ethel Kennedy in 2002, so I really wanted to work on something new. It was a great experience. Olympia’s such a great actress, a great acting teacher, and a great person to just be in a room with so you can watch her work.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 39 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM