Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for December 2009
BY Brandon Voss
December 16 2009 10:10 AM ET
That, of course, takes us to the new national tour of Dreamgirls, which ended its month-long run at Harlem’s legendary Apollo Theater on December 12 before steppin’ to 15 more cities (see full schedule at DreamgirlsOnstage.com). Swiftly directed by 2009 Out100 honoree Robert Longbottom, who choreographed with So You Think You Can Dance regular Shane Sparks, this eye-popping yet simply staged revival of Tom Eyen and Henry Krieger’s Supremes-inspired 1981 musical focuses on the costumes and kitsch, which I didn’t mind at all. American Idol finalist Syesha Mercado does a decent Deena, but you’re gonna love Moya Angela’s Effie, who has sass and soul to spare. The surprise showstopper here is “Listen” (added for Beyoncé in the 2006 film), which has been reconceived as a “dueling divas” duet for Effie and Deena.
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- WATCH: Stonewall Movie Drops First Trailer
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series