Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2010
BY Brandon Voss
February 23 2010 5:00 PM ET
Karen Finley, herself the first lady of performance art, revives the late Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in her latest one-woman show, The Jackie Look, on uncomfortable display through March 27 at the Laurie Beechman Theatre. No, Finley’s not drenching the icon’s naked body with chocolate here, but by the end of her rambling treatise (which she reads from a script on a lectern) on fame, fashion, and America’s fascination with Michelle Obama’s bare arms, one almost wishes that she would. Backed by a slipshod slide show of Camelot pictures peppered with other poignant images like La Pietà, Finley does end with a bang — what, too soon? — by screaming “you know!” at the audience, suggesting that Caroline Kennedy’s notorious speech patterns were a desperate cry for the acknowledgment of her family’s tragic history.
Lucinda Coxon’s Happy Now? — a charming but rather picayune British play making its New York premiere with a Primary Stages production at 59E59 Theatres through March 21 — asks that universal question by looking at the life of Kitty, a harried wife, mother, and cancer research exec tempted by adultery and tormented by her estranged parents. “What’s the use of a gay best friend?” Kitty asks of confidant Carl, a bearish 40-something law firm partner who’s sleeping with a 20-something lifeguard but ultimately concludes he’s “too old a dog for new tricks.” For starters, this gay bestie, played with comforting truth by Brian Keane, allows Kitty and her friends to envy, disparage, and “perv” on his sex life at dinner parties. It’s no wonder that the mindless enjoyment of Will & Grace factors so prominently into the plot.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 21 min 10 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 28 min 37 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 34 min 45 sec ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 36 min 32 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Wanda to Ellen: Look At the Lesbian Falling Off the Pole 39 min 47 sec ago
- Media LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade 47 min 12 sec ago
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 1 hour 20 min ago