BY Brandon Voss
March 29 2010 2:10 PM ET
God of Carnage, Yasmina Reza’s Tony-winning comedy about two couples meeting to discuss a brawl between their sons, has been a hot ticket since its February 2009 premiere with Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfini, and Marcia Gay Harden. I find the new third replacement cast, which calls the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre home through June 20, the best yet. Happiness star Dylan Baker and Mary Stuart’s Janet McTeer are captivating, as is Daniels, who triumphantly returns in the role originated by Gandolfini. Charlie’s Angel's Lucy Liu, making her Broadway debut, isn’t adept at holding for laughs, but she gets better as her reserved character gets drunker and meaner. And when the masculinity of the boys is questioned — one son did “drag” in a production of Charley’s Aunt — who but Liu could make “faggot” sound so funny?
Easily the best show I saw all month — I still have goosebumps! — The Scottsboro Boys breathes lyrical new life into the infamous 1930s case in which nine innocent African-American teens were falsely accused of rape, ultimately provoking national outrage that helped spark the civil rights movement. With a score by John Kander and the late Fred Ebb (Chicago, Cabaret, etc.), direction and choreography by Susan Stroman (The Producers, Contact, etc.), and the most accomplished design team in town, this emotionally energetic musical, which boldly tweaks minstrel conventions, more than lives up to its pedigree. These boys (including GLAAD Award–winning Big Gay Sketch Show star Colman Domingo) have already sold out their limited run through April 18 at off-Broadway’s Vineyard Theatre, but it’ll be a crime if it doesn’t transfer to Broadway.
Next month I’ll see what all the fuss is about Nathan Lane in The Addams Family, Vanessa Williams in Sondheim on Sondheim, and out singer Levi Kreis in Million Dollar Quartet. As always, I’ll save you a seat, possums!
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM