BY Brandon Voss
March 29 2010 1:10 PM ET
God of Carnage, Yasmina Reza’s Tony-winning comedy about two couples meeting to discuss a brawl between their sons, has been a hot ticket since its February 2009 premiere with Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, James Gandolfini, and Marcia Gay Harden. I find the new third replacement cast, which calls the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre home through June 20, the best yet. Happiness star Dylan Baker and Mary Stuart’s Janet McTeer are captivating, as is Daniels, who triumphantly returns in the role originated by Gandolfini. Charlie’s Angel's Lucy Liu, making her Broadway debut, isn’t adept at holding for laughs, but she gets better as her reserved character gets drunker and meaner. And when the masculinity of the boys is questioned — one son did “drag” in a production of Charley’s Aunt — who but Liu could make “faggot” sound so funny?
Easily the best show I saw all month — I still have goosebumps! — The Scottsboro Boys breathes lyrical new life into the infamous 1930s case in which nine innocent African-American teens were falsely accused of rape, ultimately provoking national outrage that helped spark the civil rights movement. With a score by John Kander and the late Fred Ebb (Chicago, Cabaret, etc.), direction and choreography by Susan Stroman (The Producers, Contact, etc.), and the most accomplished design team in town, this emotionally energetic musical, which boldly tweaks minstrel conventions, more than lives up to its pedigree. These boys (including GLAAD Award–winning Big Gay Sketch Show star Colman Domingo) have already sold out their limited run through April 18 at off-Broadway’s Vineyard Theatre, but it’ll be a crime if it doesn’t transfer to Broadway.
Next month I’ll see what all the fuss is about Nathan Lane in The Addams Family, Vanessa Williams in Sondheim on Sondheim, and out singer Levi Kreis in Million Dollar Quartet. As always, I’ll save you a seat, possums!
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 47 min 56 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 1 hour 34 min ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 2 hours 1 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 3:57 PM
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 3:50 PM