Seat Filler: ’s Guide to Theater
BY Brandon Voss
May 04 2010 1:00 PM ET
If you forget the ’60s TV show, focus on the original Charles Addams cartoons, and ignore the fact that these characters do not belong in a musical spectacle at all, you may find The Addams Family at Broadway’s Lunt-Fontanne Theatre to be creepy, kooky, but not altogether ooky. When Wednesday, who’s older than you recall, falls in love with a boy from a regular middle-class family, she begs her oddball family to “act normal” when they meet their future in-laws — much like La Cage as set in Disney’s Haunted Mansion. Bebe Neuwirth’s Morticia and Jackie Hoffman’s Grandma predictably steal the hokey show, but there’s a scary amount of gay talent on display, including composer Andrew Lippa, Nathan Lane as Gomez, Kevin Chamberlin as Uncle Fester, recent Out model Wesley Taylor as Wednesday’s beau, and Zach James as Lurch.
For his 80th year, musical theater giant composer-lyricist Stephen Sondheim gets the gift of Sondheim on Sondheim, an anthological multimedia tribute conceived and directed by frequent collaborator James Lapine. It blunders by trying to progress thematically instead of chronologically, so this best-of show, which runs through June 27 at Studio 54, only works when archival footage or a taped interview with Steve introduces a song with an insidery anecdote. After touching on his homosexual awakening, we’re treated to “The Best Thing That Has Ever Happened,” his same-sex duet from Road Show, and a reimagining of “Happiness” from Passion as a bisexual paean to fickle hearts that pairs stars Vanessa Williams and Barbara Cook! The solid cast of eight also includes gay Taboo star Euan Morton, who’s destined to be in a revival of Merrily We Roll Along.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 43 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 47 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM