BY Brandon Voss
August 17 2010 1:45 PM ET
After earning two Tonys for Memphis, out book-writer Joe DiPietro made a miraculous musical return with Falling for Eve, York Theatre Company’s likable follow-up to Yank! at the Theatre at Saint Peters. Based on David Howard’s play Adam Alone, this cleverly tweaked creation tale, which rested on August 8, imagined what might’ve ensued if only Eve hadn't eaten that forbidden apple in Eden. A heavenly, hummable score by Howard and Brett Simmons was worthy of praise, but Falling for Eve was truly blessed by The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee hunk Jose Llana as the first man, who made his entrance in the buff before showing off all his God-given goods in a loincloth for the rest of the performance. And in a fun gimmick to portray God as genderless, the somewhat bitchy deity was portrayed by the sexy duo of Sasha Sloan and Rent alum Adam Kantor.
Transport Group transcended with its site-specific revival of Mart Crowley’s The Boys in the Band earlier this year. Artistic director Jack Cummings III also unconventionally helmed See Rock City & Other Destinations, an enchanting pop-rock musical by Brad Alexander and Adam Mathias, which was staged through August 14 at the Duke on 42nd Street with portable outdoor chairs that audience members picked from a pile upon arrival. Linked by the theme of soul-searching sightseers at American tourist attractions, the spirit journey stalled after a breathtaking trio of songs about a young man’s ride to Rock City until two bratty boys — Stanley Bahorek and Bryce Ryness, who played Hair’s queer tribesman Woof — skip high school to visit Coney Island, where they share an unexpectedly intimate moment on a dark carnival ride that leaves them both spooked.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 30 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 23 min 27 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 9 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 23 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 23 min ago