Patti Takes a Bow
BY Jeremy Kinser
October 26 2010 10:45 AM ET
What are some of the other great stage roles that you’re yearning to play?
really think like that. If someone says, “You should play this,” I’d
say. “Yeah?” But I don’t think that way, mostly because I’m lazy. Also,
the thing I love is the surprise element of my career. I never know
what’s coming next.
Are there any young performers on Broadway who remind you of yourself?
No, they broke the mold when they made me. [Laughs]
Well, who do you admire on Broadway right now?
The choreographer’s work in American Idiot was unbelievable. And I thought the cast was pretty great. I love Vanessa [Redgrave]. I would see Vanessa do anything. I can’t wait to see Driving Miss Daisy with Vanessa and James Earl Jones and Boyd Gaines.
Do you think a TV show like Glee will create a new audience for musical theater?
Yes, yes, and more yeses. I hope they don’t get campy and crazy, but yes. You know what, everyone wants to be in a Broadway musical. Over and out. If you’ve a young girl tap-dancing in toe shoes in Fort Lauderdale Fla., everybody wants to be on Broadway. Bono is writing a musical. For some reason everyone wants to be on Broadway or write a Broadway musical. I don’t get it. As a performer, they certainly don’t know how difficult it is. I don’t know what the rockers are thinking ... Oh, now we’d better write a Broadway musical. It’s so crazy to me. [Laughs]
What goes through your mind when look back at the illustrious career you’ve had so far?
I don’t think like that. I can’t watch myself on TV. I don’t know many performers who go, “Oh, I was great!” The line I always use, which is tongue-in-cheek, is “I’m just not a big fan of me.” [Laughs] I can’t look at it. I just do my work and move on.
For more information on Women on the Verge ...click here.
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 30 min 40 sec ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 1 hour 41 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM