BY Brandon Voss
November 16 2010 5:15 PM ET
Also affected by 45 Bleecker’s closure was Perfect Harmony, which moved to the Acorn Theatre and closed November 13. Created by Andrew Grosso and the Essentials, this fitfully entertaining comedy about the competitive world of high school glee clubs — sound familiar? — first ran off-Broadway in 2008, but it came back presumably to capitalize on the Glee phenomenon with a largely new cast and Michael Musto as a new producer. Most of the social misfits in these a cappella groups — the Acafellas and the Ladies in Red — were silly, unsympathetic caricatures, but they couldn’t go wrong crooning Cyndi Lauper and Tiffany. In fact, stripped of a band and crazy costumes, Perfect Harmony’s pure musical performances could teach Glee some restraint. The show also featured a closeted Acafella, a gay kiss, and two Acafellas feuding because of a romance between their grandfathers.
Best known from Girls Will Be Girls and Trick, incomparable drag performer Coco Peru — né Clinton Leupp — returned to his native New York with Miss Coco Peru is Still Alive! which ended a two-weekend run November 14 at the Laurie Beechman Theatre. Framed by a metaphorical anecdote about an outrageous alien abduction, Coco’s wondrous one-queen show retraced his transformation from Bronx misfit to Hollywood gaylebrity. Unlike his drag peers, Coco isn’t afraid to get dark and serious, but he can still find comforting humor in a disfiguring childhood accident or his sister’s tragic death. “You look just like your dead sister’s ghost,” exclaimed his folks the first time they saw Coco in drag. “That wasn’t really the look I was going for,” he replied. Coco’s only beef with being molested as a young boy? The priest was ugly. “Just keeping it real,” he said — and we wouldn’t want it any other way.
Next month I’ll visit Everett Quinton in Devil Boys From Beyond, Denis O’Hare in Elling, and RuPaul’s Drag Race season 3 contestant Mimi Imfurst in Boylesque, a very buzzy Burlesque parody. As always, I’ll save you a seat!
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 21 min 7 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM