Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2010
BY Brandon Voss
November 16 2010 5:15 PM ET
Also affected by 45 Bleecker’s closure was Perfect Harmony, which moved to the Acorn Theatre and closed November 13. Created by Andrew Grosso and the Essentials, this fitfully entertaining comedy about the competitive world of high school glee clubs — sound familiar? — first ran off-Broadway in 2008, but it came back presumably to capitalize on the Glee phenomenon with a largely new cast and Michael Musto as a new producer. Most of the social misfits in these a cappella groups — the Acafellas and the Ladies in Red — were silly, unsympathetic caricatures, but they couldn’t go wrong crooning Cyndi Lauper and Tiffany. In fact, stripped of a band and crazy costumes, Perfect Harmony’s pure musical performances could teach Glee some restraint. The show also featured a closeted Acafella, a gay kiss, and two Acafellas feuding because of a romance between their grandfathers.
Best known from Girls Will Be Girls and Trick, incomparable drag performer Coco Peru — né Clinton Leupp — returned to his native New York with Miss Coco Peru is Still Alive! which ended a two-weekend run November 14 at the Laurie Beechman Theatre. Framed by a metaphorical anecdote about an outrageous alien abduction, Coco’s wondrous one-queen show retraced his transformation from Bronx misfit to Hollywood gaylebrity. Unlike his drag peers, Coco isn’t afraid to get dark and serious, but he can still find comforting humor in a disfiguring childhood accident or his sister’s tragic death. “You look just like your dead sister’s ghost,” exclaimed his folks the first time they saw Coco in drag. “That wasn’t really the look I was going for,” he replied. Coco’s only beef with being molested as a young boy? The priest was ugly. “Just keeping it real,” he said — and we wouldn’t want it any other way.
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 45 min 6 sec ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 1 hour 45 min ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 2 hours 45 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM