Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for December 2010
BY Brandon Voss
December 16 2010 6:00 PM ET
It just wouldn’t be the holidays without Jackie Hoffman’s annual solo show at Joe’s Pub. Playing Monday nights through January 17, her sixth original rant with music at the downtown venue, Jackie Five-Oh! A Celebration of Jackie Hoffman’s First 50th Birthday, focuses on Hoffman’s uncelebrated stint as Grandma in the critically maligned Broadway musical The Addams Family. I’ve heard actors mock their costars and share juicy horror stories about their experiences on a project, but never while that show is still running! The New York Jewess also kvetches about her hypochondria, her quest to star in a Holocaust movie, and the time she lost her SAG benefits after getting replaced by Queen Latifah in What Happens in Vegas. It’s very easy to laugh, but it’s hard to pity her once you meet her handsome husband, trumpeter Steve Smith.
I’ve heard about Pam Ann for years, but I’ve only just joined her mile-high fan club. Alter ego of Australian comedian Caroline Reid, one of the world’s most popular female female impersonators, Pam took her latest solo show, Pam Ann: High Alert, for a spin during Thanksgiving week at Joe’s Pub. A bittersweet tribute to a bygone era of glamorous air travel, her first-class act appealed directly to the sensibilities of her target audience: gay men, flight attendants, and gay male flight attendants. But too much class isn’t funny, so an air hostess’s habits of cock-sucking and coke-snorting are go-to gags. Her shtick could get old for infrequent fliers, so it’s a good thing there’s always something new in the news about air travel to keep her show fresh. TSA pat-downs, for example, gave Pam an excuse to molest a couple cuties from the crowd for her audience’s pleasure.
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 21 min 19 sec ago
- Comedy Watch: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 26 min 39 sec ago
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 49 min 34 sec ago
- Commentary What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 1 hour 34 min ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM