BY Brandon Voss
December 16 2010 5:00 PM ET
It just wouldn’t be the holidays without Jackie Hoffman’s annual solo show at Joe’s Pub. Playing Monday nights through January 17, her sixth original rant with music at the downtown venue, Jackie Five-Oh! A Celebration of Jackie Hoffman’s First 50th Birthday, focuses on Hoffman’s uncelebrated stint as Grandma in the critically maligned Broadway musical The Addams Family. I’ve heard actors mock their costars and share juicy horror stories about their experiences on a project, but never while that show is still running! The New York Jewess also kvetches about her hypochondria, her quest to star in a Holocaust movie, and the time she lost her SAG benefits after getting replaced by Queen Latifah in What Happens in Vegas. It’s very easy to laugh, but it’s hard to pity her once you meet her handsome husband, trumpeter Steve Smith.
I’ve heard about Pam Ann for years, but I’ve only just joined her mile-high fan club. Alter ego of Australian comedian Caroline Reid, one of the world’s most popular female female impersonators, Pam took her latest solo show, Pam Ann: High Alert, for a spin during Thanksgiving week at Joe’s Pub. A bittersweet tribute to a bygone era of glamorous air travel, her first-class act appealed directly to the sensibilities of her target audience: gay men, flight attendants, and gay male flight attendants. But too much class isn’t funny, so an air hostess’s habits of cock-sucking and coke-snorting are go-to gags. Her shtick could get old for infrequent fliers, so it’s a good thing there’s always something new in the news about air travel to keep her show fresh. TSA pat-downs, for example, gave Pam an excuse to molest a couple cuties from the crowd for her audience’s pleasure.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Third Cleveland-Area Trans Woman Murdered in Past Year, Prompting Concern
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 43 min 25 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM