BY Brandon Voss
December 16 2010 5:00 PM ET
Step aside, Frosty, because a new holiday icon has come to life in Bradford Scobie’s Moisty the Snowman Saves Christmas, which melted December 11 at Dixon Place. There must’ve been some magic in that old traffic cone, because when two hipsters ironically placed it on their dirty snowman’s head, Moisty began to mince around with wickedly clever malaprops — he sings “Phylicia Rashad” to the tune of “Feliz Navidad” — and a major Joe Jonas crush. As Moisty, Scobie gave the gift of comic genius. Cabaret great Steve Hayes of Trick fame was touching as Tranny Claus, a newly transitioned Santa in need of a makeover. Deanna Glover was also a standout as Jaggedy Ann, a toxic lesbian doll from the Island of Recalled Toys. Drag king Murray Hill — whose annual holiday show, A Murray Little Christmas, returns December 18 at Le Poisson Rouge — acted as narrator.
If you’re familiar with Sordid Lives, you already know that creator Del Shores is one helluva storyteller. You might not know, however, that he’s an impressive raconteur without the mask of his many colorful Southern characters. In Del Shores: Sordid Confessions, a nationally toured solo act that made a recent stop at the Laurie Beechman Theatre, Shores makes some hilariously politically incorrect everyman observations about Sarah Palin and homeless people, but it’s his insider-y Hollywood anecdotes that really have you howling. You may have to wait for his next show to get a deeper look into his personal journey — Shores has two children from his ex-wife and is now married to a younger man, performer Jason Dottley — but for now you’ll happily hiss at a rant about an ungrateful Randy Harrison from Queer as Folk, on which Shores was a writer.
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 22 min 24 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 1 hour 40 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Parenting Q&A: Darren Spedale, Co-Parenting Pioneer, Talks About His Latest Venture December 05 2013 10:40 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM